Located in Black Rock, this fort whose ruins are well preserved, provides a beautiful lookout point for aerial views of both Stonehaven Bay and Great Courland Bay. Originally built by the Dutch between 1628 and 1636, it was later refortified by the Courlanders in 1680 to protect their flourishing settlement in the Great Courland Bay area. In the 1800’s however, it then fell into the hands of the British for the protection of their claim in Tobago.
When American Privateers harassed the British during the American Revolution, the fort was mainly used for protective military purposes. Signature cannons can still be seen, positioned safely in a recess near the grounds’ entrance. At the end of a short, winding and sloping path, from a small gazebo one can enjoy a panoramic view of the bay.