FORT GEORGE

Reservation Required

No

Time

9:00 a.m - 5:30 p.m

Cost

Free

Parking Area

Yes

 

Overlooking St James lies Fort George. As part of a series of fortifications including Fort Abercromby and North Post and built by the British in 1804, this fort was deemed the last major defense before the Port-of-Spain Harbour. Its height of 1,200 feet gave it an advantage over ships attempting to enter the harbour in Port-of-Spain, or land at Mucurapo. Upon construction, the fort was originally named Fort Vigie and the name later changed to Fort George, in honour of King George III. No military action ever took place there and in 1846 it ceased to be a military establishment and was converted into a signal station, and this status also ended in 1964.

TOP