WOODFORD SQUARE

Reservation Required

No

Time

No Specific Time

Cost

Free

Parking Area

No

Situated in the heart of Port-of-Spain, Woodford Square was originally known as the ‘Place of Souls’ by the Amerindians who fought a bloody battle here. With Governor Sir Ralph Woodford’s arrival in 1813, the Square was laid out with flowering trees and a fountain in its centre. In 1917 a bandstand was built and the name of the Square was changed from Brunswick Square to Woodford Square, in honour of the Governor Sir Ralph Woodford who was responsible for its face-lift after a fire in 1808. Its ideal location makes Woodford Square a well known place for political/ religious gatherings, debates, entertainment and craft markets.

TOP